The Hair-Raising Adventures of Sara Susan

Today's #FlannelFriday is "The Hair-Raising Adventures of Sara Susan" from Glad Rags: Stories and Activities Featuring Clothes for Children by Jan Irving and Robin Currie (page 181). Irving and Currie books are worth checking out for lots of ideas, although specific picture books might be out of print. They have some great storytelling ideas and are worth a browse.

For this one, I can't remember if I just didn't like the artwork or there wasn't any given, but I decided to use Microsoft clip-art.

Meet Sara Susan, who never wanted to brush her hair:

Well, you can imagine her hair became even more of a mess after some animals decided that it would make quite a nice nest:
I printed out my clip-art and glued on some Velcro to the back to make it stick to my board. Then I hot-glued a bunch of yarn onto Sara Susan's head to make her hair. That was a lot of fun. If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably make Susan's head sized to fit an entire sheet of paper and then make the animals larger.

Don't forget to check back for the Flannel Friday round-up. This week I'm hosting! You can see previous roundups here.

Comments

  1. I do so LOVE this! What fun! Would be fun to use a real picture of the storyteller with messy yarn hair, too, and at the end say "guess who else doesn't like to brush her hair sometimes" and repeat using the animals with that picture. If you don't mind being silly, the kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hilarious! i love it! And I can't wait to check out Glad Rags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that looks fun! Love that messy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly is the best in storytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn adds a certain something to the story. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment