Help plan my summer storytimes!

I always enjoy helping others #crowdsourcing storytime and now I need help to find crafts that go with my plans for summer reading storytime. So I am begging you for some ideas, please! I like to do artsy stuff on my own time but I don't like thinking of craft activities for storytime. It seems to take way too much time and I'd prefer to use that time to find awesome books and group activities.

Here are some things to keep in mind:
1) I am hoping to make these take-home crafts so they must be easy for the parents to understand as well as easy to pass out (I am hoping to avoid using Ziplock baggies due to the expense and because of #2. Also the amount of garbage).
2) We expect about 100 kids per week (give or take) so it must be something easily affordable and easy enough to make in large quantities
3) Must use things we/families already have (copy paper, construction paper, glue, makers, crayons, etc.) We have some things at the library that some families might not have (sequins, glitter, feathers, pom-poms, etc.) which I am OK with giving out for a spectacular craft.
4) Most storytimes will be outside weather-permitting.

Here's what we're reading (feel free to suggest books and activities, as I still have time to get things for ILL, particularly the later weeks. May also switch weeks around) I don't normally use themes but I tend to fall back on them during the summer as it makes it easier to feel organized when presenting 30ish of them in a 6-week period:

Week 1- Cars & Trucks ("Dinosaurs in Cars", My Dump Truck felt board, That's How by Christoph Niemann, I Stink by Kate McMullan, and The Little Dump Truck by Margery Cuyler)

Week 2- Silly Stories (Soup Opera by Jim Gill, Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin, I'm Invited to a Party! by Mo Willems, Moose Tracks by Karma Wilson, Moose in Love feltboard, and Banana by Ed Vere)

Week 3-Animals Part 1 (A Pet for Petunia by Paul Schmid, A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan, Aaaarrgghh! Spider! by Lydia Monks, Bark, George by Jules Feiffer)

Week 4- Animals Part 2 (15 Animals, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett, There is a Bird on Your Head by Mo Willems,  I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry)

Week 5- Circus/Zoo (Dear Zoo, Monkey & Me by Emily Gravett, My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall, and ZooBorns by Andrew Bleiman)

Week 6- Jumping and Shouting (5 Green and Freckled Frogs, "Jumping and Counting" by Jim Gill, Can You Make a Scary Face? by Jan Thomas, Shout! Shout it Out! by Denise Fleming Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka, Jump! by Scott Fischer) Thanks Tracey for the idea!

Some of these books might get moved around into different categories as some weeks have wayyy more books than I could possibly read (even though I don't like to read all the same books for a whole week straight). I didn't post all the other non-book activities either.

Thank you!

Comments